"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."
—John Burroughs (1837-1921) American naturalist, writer
- US and UK suspend Syria rebel aid Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:14:54 GMT
- The US and UK suspend "non-lethal assistance" to rebels in northern Syria - but not humanitarian aid - after an Islamist alliance seizes FSA bases.
- Thousands file past Mandela's body Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:51:46 GMT
- South Africans queue in their thousands to view the body of former President Nelson Mandela, which is lying in state for three days.
- Pope named Time's Person of the Year Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:36:01 GMT
- Time Magazine names Pope Francis as its Person of the Year, saying he had pulled "the papacy out the palace and into the streets".
- Ukraine police abandon stand-off Wed, 11 Dec 2013 16:59:37 GMT
- Pro-EU protesters in the Ukrainian capital, Kiev, push back riot police from their protest bastions as the president promises not to use force.
- India court reinstates gay sex ban Wed, 11 Dec 2013 16:11:16 GMT
- India's Supreme Court overturns a 2009 ruling and upholds a law criminalising gay sex, in a move seen as a major blow to gay rights.
- Spy agencies 'track Google cookies' Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:24:31 GMT
- The latest Snowden leak suggests US and UK cyberspies are taking advantage of Google's proprietary cookie technology to track suspects.
- Putin orders Arctic military boost Wed, 11 Dec 2013 10:18:58 GMT
- Russian President Vladimir Putin tells his military leadership they should build up their forces in the Arctic as a priority.
- Hopi masks to return to their tribe Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:17:05 GMT
- A charity which bought 24 sacred Native American masks at a Paris auction is to return them to the Hopi and Apache tribes in the US.
- 'Revenge porn' site owner arrested Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:08:28 GMT
- A 27-year-old man has been arrested in connection a "revenge porn" website which sought to extort victims.
- Canada Post to end home delivery Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:23:07 GMT
- Canada Post says it will phase out home delivery in urban areas over the next five years as the postal service struggles to rein in persistent losses.
- UN: Uruguay marijuana move 'illegal' Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:46:06 GMT
- Uruguay's decision to legalise the production, sale and consumption of marijuana violates international law, the UN drugs watchdog says.
- G8 pledges to beat dementia scourge Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:15:54 GMT
- Leading nations have committed to developing a cure or treatment for dementia by 2025 at the G8 dementia summit.
- Outcry over 'inept' S Africa signer Wed, 11 Dec 2013 12:14:10 GMT
- Deaf viewers of Nelson Mandela's memorial service complain that the official interpreter was "signing rubbish".
- Movie captures Earth-Moon 'dance' Tue, 10 Dec 2013 23:19:55 GMT
- The US space agency releases an extraordinary new movie of Earth and the Moon moving through space together.
- VIDEO: Ukrainian protesters push back police Wed, 11 Dec 2013 15:37:43 GMT
- Hundreds of anti-government protesters inside city hall in the Ukrainian capital Kiev, have pushed back riot police trying to dislodge them.