"Who knows why we live, and struggle, and die?... Wise men write many books, in words too hard to understand. But this, the purpose of our lives, the end of all our struggle, is beyond all human wisdom."
—Alan Stewart Paton (1903-88) South African writer, noted for novels Cry, the Beloved Country
- 'Oil slick seen' in missing jet hunt Sat, 08 Mar 2014 19:19:49 GMT
- A Vietnamese plane spots possible oil slicks as the US joins Asian nations to search for a missing Malaysia Airlines jet carrying 239 people.
- Shots as Crimea observers stopped Sat, 08 Mar 2014 18:47:49 GMT
- Warning shots are fired as international observers are turned back from entering Crimea where pro-Russian forces have tightened their grip.
- Libya rebels load N Korea oil tanker Sat, 08 Mar 2014 16:29:05 GMT
- Rebels who seized oil ports in eastern Libya say they have loaded oil on to a North Korean-flagged tanker.
- Turkish ex-military chief freed Fri, 07 Mar 2014 23:52:32 GMT
- Turkey's former army chief Ilker Basbug is released from prison in Istanbul after a local court overturns his conviction for plotting a coup.
- Miliband in Afghan visit to troops Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:59:50 GMT
- Labour leader Ed Miliband says he would support British military intervention in future conflicts if it was "in the national interest".
- Kenyan president takes pay cut Fri, 07 Mar 2014 23:57:34 GMT
- Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta announces that he and his cabinet will take pay cuts to help reduce the government's ballooning wage bill.
- VIDEO: On board a $300m superyacht Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:16:12 GMT
- Nima Abu Wardeh takes a tour of the most expensive superyacht currently on the market.
- VIDEO: 'Electronic lollipop' simulates taste Sat, 08 Mar 2014 00:09:20 GMT
- Scientists at City University, London have developed a machine that they say is able to simulate taste.
- VIDEO: Rubbish piles up on Rio streets Fri, 07 Mar 2014 22:14:20 GMT
- Rio Carnival officially ended on Wednesday but piles of rubbish left on the city's streets are still waiting be collected.
- VIDEO: One-minute World News Sat, 08 Mar 2014 17:39:05 GMT
- Watch the latest news summary from BBC World News. International news updated 24 hours a day.
- VIDEO: Tension in Caracas as clashes continue Sat, 08 Mar 2014 09:10:41 GMT
- Clashes have broken out again on the streets of the Venezuelan capital, Caracas.
- VIDEO: Composer admits lying about deafness Fri, 07 Mar 2014 18:02:07 GMT
- Mamoru Samuragochi, one of Japan's most famous composers, officially apologises for pretending to be deaf. He was exposed last month by a music teacher, who also claimed that he wrote all of his music for him in secret for 18 years.
- VIDEO: 'Marry me!' Harry heckled at Wembley Fri, 07 Mar 2014 16:38:11 GMT
- Prince Harry has taken to the stage at Wembley Arena to address 12,000 young people taking part in the first We Day UK.
- VIDEO: 'I have nothing to do with Bitcoin' Fri, 07 Mar 2014 10:27:07 GMT
- Controversy is surrounding claims by Newsweek to have found the creator of the Bitcoin virtual currency.
- Nuclear fallout bunker for sale Sat, 08 Mar 2014 15:39:05 GMT
- A Cold War-era nuclear fallout bunker in the Derbyshire countryside is up for auction.